Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
-Romans 12: 2

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Mas Selamat Kastari

Went home together with Jon Tay last week when he told me about the escaped criminal Mas Selamat Kastari. Being a typical Singaporean, my first instinct was to ask Jon to change his driving direction towards Whitley Road so that I can see the roadblocks etc. :X

Its shocking isn't it? That such incident can actually happen in Singapore. I think many of us are thrown into much apprehension, especially that now we're surrounded by arrest posters of him everywhere... quite a few of us even have the haunting MMS of him sent by the police in our handphone right now.

Some people say its an inside job; others say it could be the doing of black magic. For me, this incident reminded me the fact that as Singaporeans we may have grown to become overly-reliant on our government; built up an unrealistic thinking-frame that our nation's defence will always be invulnerable and invincible. I think the incident has served as a wake-up call for complacent people like me and at the same time reminding our local authority the need for them to constantly evaluate and strengthen their leadership.

On the other hand, I felt really overwhelmed that a seemingly normal and decent-looking guy like Mas Selamat Kastari can actually harbour thoughts of destroying lives and property. Its truly frightening to witness how fearsome human becomes when they are indoctrinated with the wrong values and understanding. It reminds me the importance for me to cultivate balance and biblical values among the youths I serve with.

Anyway I found two extemely funny poster at Shirls blog (which is part of my inspiration for this blog post). Enjoy!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home